Friday, March 18, 2011

Christian Poetry - A poem about Parent's tears for their children

Thou tellest my wanderings: put thou my tears into thy bottle: are they not
in thy book? ~Psalm 56:8

 
 
“Gathering Teardrops”
 
Silence lingers in the hallway
As I watch my children sleep
I think of ways that I have failed them
Promises I could not keep
 
I promised life would never hurt them
I promised this and so much more
Not knowing God had gone before me
Not knowing what he had in store
 
In my mind I want to hold them
Until forever disappears
While every memory I visit
Finds me gathering their tears
 
I search for every scattered teardrop
Feeling helpless and alone
Forever longing to replace them
With twice as many of my own
 
A quiet rustling in the darkness
Pulls me back into the now
Where I am desperate to protect them
From teardrops, but I don’t know how
 
All I know is that I love them
And though I don’t know what to do
I trust my Savior will protect them
Because I know he loves them too
 
I still don’t known where life will take them
Or how much pain their hearts will see
For God, in all His sovereign wisdom
Has hidden all these things from me
 
As I watch my children sleeping
Teardrops gather in my eyes
But kneeling in my darkened hallway
I know that God has heard my cries
 
Suddenly I feel within me
A peace that’s wonderfully divine
For as I gathered up their teardrops
The Lord had gathered all of mine
I say a prayer for all my children
Then quietly go back to sleep
Knowing that God has also gathered
The promises I could not keep.
 
By N. Gonzalez © poetryandpraise.com 2011 all rights reserved
  
We've all experienced the overwhelming desire to keep our kids from suffering but that is out of our hands. We can, however, put them in God's hands and trust that he will put a protective covering over them. Remember that he loves them much more than we ever will.

No comments:

Post a Comment