Saturday, March 19, 2011

Classic Christian Poetry - John Greenleaf Whittier (1807-1892)

John Greenleaf Whittier   (1807-1892)
 
From "Andrew Rykman's Prayer"
 
Pardon, Lord, the lips that dare
Shape in words a mortal's prayer!
 
...
Not as one who seeks his home
With a steep assured I come;
Still behind the tread I hear
Of my life-companion, Fear;
Still a shadow deep and vast
From my westering feet is cast,
Wavering, doutful, undefined,
Never shapen nor outlined:
From myself the fear has grown,
And the shadow is my own.
Yet, O Lord, through all a sense
Of Thy tneder providence
Stays my falling heart on Thee,
And confirms the feeble knee;
And, at times, my worn feet press
Spaces of cool quietness,
Lilied whiteness shone upon;
Hours there be of inmost calm,
Broken but by grateful psalm,
When I love Thee more than fear Thee,
And Thy blessed Christ seems near me,
With forgiving look, as when
He beheld the Magdalen.
Well I know that all things move
To the spheral rythm of love,-
That to Thee, O Lord of all!

No comments:

Post a Comment