Friday, March 18, 2011

Classic Christian Poetry - George Herbert (1593-1633)

George Herbert (1593-1633)
Easter Wings

         Lord, who createdst man in wealth and store,
             Though foolishly he lost the same,
                 Decaying more and more,
                     Till he became
                          Most poore:
                          With thee
                      O let me rise
                  As larks, harmoniously,
              And sing this day thy victories:
           Then shall the fall further the flight in me.

           My tender age in sorrow did beginne
               And still with sicknesses and shame.
                   Thou didst so punish sinne,
                       That I became
                           Most thinne.
                           With thee
                       Let me combine,
                    And feel thy victorie:
                  For, if I imp my wing on thine,
            Affliction shall advance the flight in me.



*Turned counter clockwise, these should appear to be two sets of wings in flight…yours and the Lords!

No comments:

Post a Comment