Friday, March 11, 2011

Christian Poetry - A poem about Calvary and God's gift.

"And having spoiled principalities and powers, he made a shew of them openly, triumphing over them in it." ~Col 2:15

"...when he had by himself purged our sins, sat down on the right hand of the Majesty on high;" ~ Heb 1:3

I’ve been to the hill of forgiveness
The place which is called Calvary
For down on my knees
I could hear in the breeze
A voice as it called out to me

I found myself standing in wonder
In the midst of a great angry crowd
They’d shout and they’d cry
“This blasphemer must die!”
While cursing his name out loud

Their anger evolved into hatred
Their hatred evolved into sin
But they couldn’t see
as he hung on the tree
The great mystery unfolding within

The army of Satan surrounds him
They mockingly laugh in his face
“Just curse God and die!
Hang your head down and cry!
To them you are just a disgrace.”

Yet love overshadowed their hatred
Engulfing the sins of us all
The heavens now shook
for he had what it took
For the kingdom of darkness to fall


And with it fell sin and it’s power
Then Death was removed from its throne
All this being done
by the obedience of one
Who died, all our sins to atone

I looked in the face of compassion
And wondered what love this could be
For Christ to embrace
by a pure act of grace
Sin’s captives, while setting them free

Who could provoke such compassion?
For whom such an unselfish act?
Whose soul could be worth
leaving Heaven for earth
To give him the life that he lacked?

I looked in the eyes of forgiveness
and trembled, at what I could see
I whispered his name as
I found, to my shame
That his eyes held an image of me

For mine were the sins that he carried
And mine the afflictions he bore
And mine was the soul
that he longed to make whole
It was a truth that I couldn't ignore

I fell to my knees in surrender
Unworthy of one such as he
Though it’s hard to conceive
Yet I chose to believe
That, in love, he had done this for me

By N. Gonzalez © poetryandpraise.com 2011 all rights reserved

No comments:

Post a Comment